We are currently evaluating our recruitment processes to ensure the health and safety of our community members. Fall and spring recruitment plans will be made using CDC safety recommendations and guidance from Forsyth County and the state of North Carolina.
Spring 2021 Formal Recruitment plans will be announced on October 1. We advise that all travel arrangements for returning to campus be made after the October 1 announcement.
Students that are interested in receiving information about recruitment processes are invited to complete our Fraternity/Sorority Life Interest Form.
Panhellenic recruitment is the process where women who are interested in joining one of our 8 social sororities on campus explore their options. There are two types of recruitment: formal and continuous open bidding (COB). Formal recruitment takes place in January prior to the start of classes. COB occurs after the conclusion of formal recruitment and takes place year-round. Both options are a great way of learning about the organizations, however the majority of women go through formal recruitment.
Requirements for Membership
- Must complete 12 college credit hours as a matriculated student (AP and IB credits will not be included in credit hours).
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA (collegiate)
- Please note: these are Wake Forest University minimum GPA requirements; individual organizations may require more credit hours and/or a higher GPA.
- Must release the above information for verification:
- There is grade release form for Fall COB.
- Grade release information is included in the registration form for Spring formal recruitment.
- Must complete PreventZone hazing education modules (Hazing Prevention: It’s Everyone’s Responsibility AND Fraternity & Sorority Life Module).
- Must not have initiated into an NPC sorority.
- For COB, a woman may not have received and declined a bid/resigned prior to initiation since the most recent formal recruitment.
- Completed registration (formal recruitment only)
- Submission of application fee (formal recruitment only)
Fall Recruitment/Continuous Open Bidding
Please note: first-semester freshman are not eligible for fall recruitment.
Chapters are permitted to recruit up to a designated number approved each semester by the Panhellenic Council. Chapters with available membership spots can take members continually throughout the semester until they fill these spots. When we become aware of these organizations, we will post this information here.
Timeline – In the fall, bids can be distributed beginning the second Monday after the start of classes. In the spring, bids can be distributed immediately following the conclusion of formal recruitment. There are deadlines also established for when final bids must be given. These dates for a specific semester can be found on our Important Dates page.
Process – To fill open membership spots, chapters can extend bids in a variety of ways, whether that means hosting a COB event or just communicating directly with a potential new member (PNM). Bids can be offered at any time from the start of COB to the deadline for final bids. A PNM can receive multiple bids or no bids. While registering for COB is not required, the Panhellenic Council is happy to provide the contact information of any interested women to chapters that have available membership spots. If you would like to be contacted by a chapter, please submit a COB Interest Form. Similarly, when the Panhellenic Council is made aware of chapter’s hosting COB events, this information will be distributed to anyone who has submitted this form. There is no registration fee associated with COB.
Eligibility – To be eligible to join a chapter through COB, students must meet the same criteria listed above.
Participating Chapters –
- Fall 2020 – Will be determined in early September 2020
- Spring 2021 – Will be determined following formal recruitment
Spring 2021 Formal Sorority Recruitment Registration
Recruitment registration will open in early October. Please reach out to Anna Hogewood, VP of Membership Recruitment, at email@example.com with questions.
2021 Formal Recruitment Dates – tentative
Formal Sorority Recruitment is an opportunity for all second semester freshmen, upperclassmen and transfer students to explore membership in the Panhellenic Council sororities. Over the course of 5 days, potential new members (PNMs) will visit with each chapter. At the end of each day, the PNMs make selections to narrow their options while the chapters do the same.
Formal recruitment requires a $140 registration fee.
Eligibility – To participate in formal recruitment, PNMs must meet the qualifications listed above.
Registration – Registration is an online process that begins in mid-October and will close in mid-November.
Please see Important Dates for a list of events held in the fall to help you prepare for spring recruitment.
Returning to Campus –
- Current Active Chapter Members
- The residence halls will open at 9am on Monday, January 4, 2021 for all current active chapter members.
- Students Participating in Formal Sorority Recruitment
- The residence halls will open at 9am on Tuesday, January 5, 2021 for all students returning to participate in sorority recruitment. All PNMs must return to campus by 5pm on January 5, 2021. The first event of Formal Sorority Recruitment will be that evening (check Timeline for details).
The halls will not be open prior to January 4 at 9am. If you need to return earlier, you will need to find your own lodging (i.e. local hotel, friend’s apartment) and transportation.
Timeline & Recruitment Schedule –
- Monday, January 4 – Halls open at 9am for Active Members to move back to campus (required)
- Tuesday, January 5 – Halls open at 9am for PNMs to move back to campus (required)
- Tuesday, January 5 – PNM Welcome Meeting, 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 6 – Day 1
- Thursday, January 7 – Day 2
- Friday, January 8 – Day 3
- Saturday, January 9 – Day 4, Preference Night
- Sunday, January 10 – Day 5, BID DAY
- Monday, January 11 – CLASSES BEGIN
PNM Recruitment Booklet – This booklet is given to all Potential New Members prior to the recruitment process. It includes information about sorority recruitment, such as profiles of each participating sorority, an overview of the week, tips on what to wear and pages for taking notes. PNMs are encouraged to bring these booklets with them each day so they can keep track of their schedules and notes. The digital version of the booklet will be available here once it is completed.
Dining Options for Recruitment – Dining Services operates an abbreviated schedule during winter break and into sorority recruitment. Please prepare for limited options for dining on campus, but there will be breakfast, lunch, and dinner options available. Please refer to the Deacon Dining website for hours during recruitment.
SHS Winter Break Schedule – Student Health Services will host abbreviated hours during winter break. There will be a modified clinic staffing, with a nurse and provider available for limited hours. The hours will be released in November.
Parents’ Page FAQs – Parent Programs collects an annual list of frequently asked questions about sorority recruitment and publishes them through the Daily Deac.
Parking Information – We will post parking rules for recruitment as soon as information is available.
Recommendation Letter Information
Recommendation letters are not required for joining a sorority. However, if you would like to send a recommendation on behalf of a potential new member, the directions for how to submit those letters are provided below for each chapter. We also encourage anyone submitting a letter of recommendation to utilize any online processes provided through the national organization. Please review the national organization’s website for more information.
Contact information for letters of recommendation will be available October 1.
Should you have any questions concerning the recruitment process, please contact one of the following individuals or Student Engagement at (336) 758-7168.
Vice President for Membership, Panhellenic Council
Assistant Director, Fraternity and Sorority Life
Follow Panhellenic on Instagram @wfu_panhel