Students that are interested in receiving information about recruitment processes are invited to complete our Fraternity/Sorority Life Interest Form.
Panhellenic recruitment is the process where women who are interested in joining one of our 8 social sororities on campus explore their options. There are two types of recruitment: formal and continuous open bidding (COB). Formal recruitment takes place in January prior to the start of classes. COB occurs after the conclusion of formal recruitment and takes place year-round. Both options are a great way of learning about the organizations, however the majority of women go through formal recruitment.
Requirements for Membership
- Must complete 12 college credit hours as a matriculated student (AP and IB credits will not be included in credit hours).
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA (collegiate)
- Please note: these are Wake Forest University minimum GPA requirements; individual organizations may require more credit hours and/or a higher GPA.
- Must release the above information for verification:
- There is grade release form for Fall COB.
- Grade release information is included in the registration form for Spring formal recruitment.
- Must complete PreventZone hazing education modules (Hazing Prevention: It’s Everyone’s Responsibility AND Fraternity & Sorority Life Module).
- Must not have initiated into an NPC sorority.
- For COB, a woman may not have received and declined a bid/resigned prior to initiation since the most recent formal recruitment.
- Completed registration (formal recruitment only)
- Submission of application fee (formal recruitment only)
Spring 2022 Formal Recruitment Registration
2022 Formal Recruitment Dates
Formal Panhellenic Recruitment is an opportunity for all second semester freshmen, upperclassmen and transfer students to explore membership in the Panhellenic Council sororities. Over the course of 6 days, potential new members (PNMs) will visit with each chapter. At the end of each day, the PNMs make selections to narrow their options while the chapters do the same.
Formal recruitment requires a $70 registration fee.
Eligibility – To participate in formal recruitment, PNMs must meet the qualifications listed above.
Registration – Registration is an online process that begins in mid-October and will close in mid-November.
Returning to Campus –
- Because Panhellenic Formal Recruitment will be held partially virtually, students should not return to campus early. Please refer to communications from Residence Life & Housing for information about returning to campus for the spring semester.
Timeline & Recruitment Schedule –
- November 18 – Virtual Potential New Member Assembly
- Tuesday, January 4 – Round 1, Day 1: Chapter Introductions
- Wednesday, January 5 – Round 2, Day 2: Chapter Introductions
- Thursday, January 6 – Round 2: Philanthropy
- Friday, January 7 & Saturday, January 8 – Travel Days
- Sunday, January 9 – Round 3: Sisterhood
- Saturday, January 15 – Round 4: Preference
- Sunday: January 16 – Bid Day
PNM Recruitment Booklet – This booklet is given to all Potential New Members prior to the recruitment process. It includes information about sorority recruitment, such as profiles of each participating sorority, an overview of the week, tips on what to wear and pages for taking notes. PNMs are encouraged to bring these booklets with them each day so they can keep track of their schedules and notes. The digital version of the booklet will be available here once it is completed.
Recommendation Letter Information
Recommendation letters are not required for joining a sorority. However, if you would like to send a recommendation on behalf of a potential new member, the directions for how to submit those letters are provided below for each chapter. We also encourage anyone submitting a letter of recommendation to utilize any online processes provided through the national organization. Please review the national organization’s website for more information.
Contact information for letters of recommendation will be available November 1.
Fall Recruitment/Continuous Open Bidding
Please note: first-semester freshman are not eligible for fall recruitment.
Chapters are permitted to recruit up to a designated number approved each semester by the Panhellenic Council. Chapters with available membership spots can take members continually throughout the semester until they fill these spots. When we become aware of these organizations, we will post this information here.
Timeline – In the fall, bids can be distributed beginning the second Monday after the start of classes. In the spring, bids can be distributed immediately following the conclusion of formal recruitment. There are deadlines also established for when final bids must be given. These dates for a specific semester can be found on our Important Dates page.
Process – To fill open membership spots, chapters can extend bids in a variety of ways, whether that means hosting a COB event or just communicating directly with a potential new member (PNM). Bids can be offered at any time from the start of COB to the deadline for final bids. A PNM can receive multiple bids or no bids. While registering for COB is not required, the Panhellenic Council is happy to provide the contact information of any interested women to chapters that have available membership spots. If you would like to be contacted by a chapter, please submit your name to the FSL Interest Form. Similarly, when the Panhellenic Council is made aware of chapter’s hosting COB events, this information will be distributed to anyone who has submitted this form. There is no registration fee associated with COB.
Eligibility – To be eligible to join a chapter through COB, students must meet the same criteria listed above.
Participating Chapters –
- Fall 2021 – Will be determined in late August 2021
- Spring 2022 – Will be determined following formal recruitment
Should you have any questions concerning the recruitment process, please contact one of the following individuals or Student Engagement at (336) 758-7168.
Vice President for Membership, Panhellenic Council
Assistant Director, Fraternity and Sorority Life
Follow Panhellenic on Instagram @wfu_panhel