Fraternity & Sorority Life at Wake Forest University is continuously striving to provide a values-based, holistic fraternal experience. As part of that endeavor, we annually evaluate the possibility of welcoming new organizations to our community. Our goal in expansion is to enhance the undergraduate experience by partnering with national organizations whose ideals align with the University’s.
Wake Forest Definition of Social Fraternity/Sorority:
The United States Department of Education established criteria necessary to be classified as a social sorority or fraternity (which includes a provision that allows an organization to operate as a single-sex organization). In keeping with those criteria, Wake Forest University classifies social sororities and fraternities as organizations that:
- Do not limit membership to persons pursuing or having interest in a particular field of study, profession or academic discipline.
- Do not serve as honorary societies for academic, leadership, or any other endeavor.
- Do not permit members to hold membership in other social sororities or fraternities.
In addition, these organizations must also:
- Be affiliated with an inter/national fraternity or sorority.
- Be affiliated with a governing council recognized through the Office of Student Engagement.
- Limit membership to currently enrolled, undergraduate degree-seeking students at Wake Forest University that meet the University’s eligibility requirements.
- Meet WFU’s requirements for general liability insurance covering the activities to be conducted in no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence, $3,000,000 annual aggregate. Alcohol, hazing, and sexual assault liability coverage required. External Group will provide WFU with a current certificate of insurance evidencing the coverage required herein, and naming Wake Forest University as an additional insured on the policy. Certificates are to be sent each year as policy renews.
- Be in compliance with the Student Code of Conduct and Expectations for Excellence. Chapters must also remain in good standing with the university and the national organization.
A new social fraternity or sorority must complete the process for expansion as outlined in the Policy for Expansion. No social fraternity or sorority shall be registered at Wake Forest University without approval of the Student Life Committee, which is the final decision-making body.
If you are an authorized representative of a national organization that is interested in joining the Wake Forest Community, you may complete the Expansion Interest Form any time. Completing the interest form is not mandatory to be considered for expansion. This form is used to gather data to help inform when to open for expansion.